Thursday, September 13, 2007

In the beginning...

... there was just me and this blank page. We all have to start somewhere, and today, I will start with a fresh post- and the hope that every post after this will continue to be fresh- new, inspiring, and full of promise. Perhaps a hackneyed vision (not very fresh of me...), but a goal worth striving for.

This blog has been designed for a class entitled Public Theology in which we are to comment on current social issues theologically. I have titled the blog "Belief in Context". I chose this title because I find that it is only when our beliefs are placed in context, or in relationship to the world around us, that they true come alive and have meaning. In other words, it's not enough to have a conviction, we must understand that conviction in relationship to the real world.

The Bible is a nuanced book- it has things in it that we LOVE and things in it that we HATE-- but to struggle with those things, and to struggle with them in light of the happenings of our world seems to be a great way to engage our faith. I hope you will join me for that journey.

1 comment:

Mark Schaefer said...

I like the way you are beginning. There are far to many people who think that belief is something in the abstract--a Platonic ideal that is not affected by events in the real world. I look forward to reading this, Danielle.